The Sacrament of Confirmation
The Sacrament of Confirmation makes present the same grace that was showered upon the Apostles on Pentecost, fifty days after the Resurrection of Christ (Acts 2:1-40).
Confirmation completes our Baptism and makes us fully initiated members of the Catholic Church (Acts 19:1-6).
Through the celebration of Confirmation, the Father and the Son pour out the Holy Spirit, who brings special gifts (Is 11:2-3). Each of these special gifts of the Spirit helps us to face the challenges of living the Gospel today.
Adult Confirmation Preparation
Are you a young adult, out of high school and wanting to be a fully initiated member of the Catholic Church? The Newman Center offers an eight-week program of preparation for the Sacrament of Confirmation. This program is for persons baptized Catholic who have already received First Holy Communion. If you have not been baptized Catholic or have not prepared for First Holy Communion, contact the front office for information on “RCIA” (Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults) so you can be prepared for all of the Sacraments.
Because of its brevity, attendance during the eight-week preparation is essential. Those who must miss more than one session will be invited to consider taking part in the program later, when their schedule makes regular attendance possible.
CClasses are on Tuesday nights from 7:00PM to 9:00PM beginning on October 22, 2013. To register for the Adult Confirmation Program, download the PDF file below, fill it out and return it to the Newman Center Front Desk. Note that the class fee for the program is $30 for current ASU students and $50 for non-students. After submitting your registration form, you will receive an email verifying your registration and providing additional details on the Confirmation preparation program.
You will want to start with the following:
- Complete the Confirmation Registration Form.
- Obtain a NEW copy of your baptismal certificate from the church where you were baptized and bring it with you to the first class. (If you were baptized in another country, a copy of your original baptismal certificate will be sufficient.)
- If you are a member of another parish, obtain a letter from the pastor of your home parish granting you permission to participate in this process.
- Married persons must be in a valid sacramental Catholic marriage in order to be confirmed. Please bring a copy of your church marriage certificate with you. (If you’d like to have your non-sacramental marriage convalidated, please call ahead to schedule an appointment with the director of marriage preparation. We’ll do all we can to help you, but please be aware that this process normally requires 9 months of marriage preparation.)
- Invite a Catholic whom you admire, and who has already been confirmed, to be your Confirmation sponsor. It is best to choose someone who is willing and able to attend most of the sessions with you, and it is requested that this person not be your boyfriend/girlfriend. A proxy can stand in for a sponsor who is unable to be present at your Confirmation. If you do not know someone who can serve as your sponsor, we will be happy to find someone from our community to walk with you on this journey.
- Think of a saint you would like to ask to be your patron. You may choose to take this saint’s name as your Confirmation name. See “Saint of the Day” link under “Community Life” “Prayer and Worship” on our website for information about saints.
- Pray daily and attend Mass every Sunday (or Saturday night) and Holy Day of Obligation.
We pray for you as you consider taking this final step of full initiation into our Catholic faith.
Youth Confirmation Preparation
In the Diocese of Phoenix, children are now confirmed and receive their First Holy Communion in the 3rd grade. First Reconciliation is ordinarily in the 2nd grade. If your child is in 2nd grade of higher and has not received Baptism, First Communion and/or Confirmation, we invite you to enroll them in the Religious Education program at the Newman Center, contact the front office at 480-967-7823 or email@example.com.
For more information call the front office at 480-967-7823 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.